Altering clothing didn’t adequately prepare me for making something out of cloth. My first pair of cloth shoes is going much more slowly than I hoped. The process of making sure no edges are unfinished led me to undo hours of stitching when I realized I made a mistake in the construction. Then eyelets worked well in practice, but didn’t cooperate on what I hope will be the final shoe. One line of eyelets isn’t aligned well, but I don’t want to waste fabric trying again until I know the design will work. Plus, I don’t have much spare fabric (either the kasuri outer fabric or the Ventile inner fabric). But it is a pair for me, and I’m willing to live with mistakes I wouldn’t accept in shoes for somebody else.